Thursday, December 30, 2010

The End-of-Year at Woolie Ewe

The Woolie Ewe is a yarn shop in Plano that I found just before Xmas. The store is, to put it mildly, amazing. Granted, I haven't been to a whole lot of yarn stores, but this one seems enormous to me. Maybe there's just a much bigger crowd of people that knit than I was aware of :). Anyway, this place is huge, and caries an incredible variety of yarns. Call me impressed.

Well this week was their annual end-of-year sale. Monday had 2 brands of yarn on sale, Tuesday 1 big brand, Wednesday everything 33%, and today - everything 30-75% off. Unfortunately, their hours are like 10-6, so making it up to Plano from downtime before 6 once I get off is pretty much impossible. So I'd written off my chance at taking advantage of their sale except through online shopping (and I'm not knowledgeable enough about yarn yet to feel safe buying online).

But then - the weirdest of coincidences happened. (Note - I am telling this story completely backwards on this blog, because well - the focus is the yarn sale, not the catastrophe that led to my being able to attend that sale. I plan to go into more detail about the catastrophe in another blog.) Last night, I went to get my hair cut. And I mean *really* cut. My hair was to my lower back - i wanted it at the bottom of my neck. So yeah - it was a huge deal. Well anyway, long story short - the resulting cut was *terrible*. I hated it. I cried for a good half hour when I got home. The lady did at least promise to fix it if I came back the next day. By the end of the night, I'd figured out a way or two that at least made it...workable. But I still didn't like parts of it. And was still planning on going back. But I thought I'd at least be able to stand it for one day of work.

Then I get up this morning. Stare at myself in the mirror. Try a billion different ways to make my hair look good again. Yeaaaaaah, not so much. I'm almost in tears again. I call in to work, claim some sort of personal emergency... I'm just not about to go feel crappy about myself all day at work when I can be working to fixing this..mess...that my hair is in. Go to Wal-mart, buy some hair dye to re-dye it back to the color I'd had it in a couple months ago, spend an hour dying. Make my appointment for later today to get it re-cut. And put off the highlighting till after its re-styled. Sigh. So much work just to fix what should have been done the right way the first time. If only the stylist had listened to me and not believed she knew better.

So I'm finished up with my preparation errands/tasks and done eating lunch by about 1. Then I remember... holy shit! The huge yarn sale is today!!! And I CAN GO!! So I run into the bathroom to try one more time to find a way to live with my hair so I can be seen in public. After a few more minutes of playing - I actually did find one way to pull back the offensive bangs so that the chunky mess actually was well hidden (yay!) and was within minutes out the door and in my car.

I actually did pretty well at the Woolie Ewe. I did spend something over $100.. (but I did save over $75!) but seeing as one of my Xmas gifts was.. just money.. where better to use it than on building up my stash for future projects I want to work on ^_^. I got a stash of shiny cotton (or linen, can't remember which) for this scarf I want to do. I got a stash of this pretty variegated blue-purple wool for a lace-t-shirt i want. I got a variegated purple/white/stuff fingerweight for a hat for mom. And I got a pretty burgandy for a cardigan I want to make. All of it is really really pretty. I can't wait to get started on any of it.

I'll post pictures later this evening of the yarn I got. Once I get my hair fixed.

No comments:

Post a Comment