Friday, August 24, 2012

Primrose Path


I have a sleeve!  Just one, but one is better than none!  

I had started this project in January 2011.  I worked on it sort of steadily for about two months.  Got through the torso, and knit one sleeve.  Got to the point where I was supposed to attach that sleeve to the armhole..and slid to a skidding halt.  The sleevecap did not seem to match up to the armhole at all.  I could not figure out how in the world the two were going to match up.. and obviously I did something wrong.   I don't remember the reason, exactly, but something kept me from sitting down and focusing on it at that time.. and I put it off.  And then i think the bubble of "holy crap I screwed up and I don't know how to fix it" just kept getting bigger and I never went back.  And then it sat..and sat.. and sat.  Granted, I did take some several months off from knitting in general once summer hit.  Which kept it sitting for even longer.

Recently, while bored at work (new job that swore I wouldn't be bored.. and i'm bored..), I started perusing knitting blogs again and decided to pick up my knitting again with some serious attention.  And yesterday, I decided "I'm going to finish that sweater!"  I looked up a couple tips on armholes, watched a video or two.  And then I pulled it out and just looked at it.  Putting on the two pieces.. yeah, still had no idea how the hell they were going to match up.   But I decided, what the hell, lets just try to sew these together and see what happens.  Really really wish I'd tried that 18 months ago.  I had to do a little easing of the armhole to the sleeve, but seeing as it is a ribbed pattern that wasn't actually difficult at all.  And now - the sleeve is attached!!  Teach me to let a little thing stop me from working on a project.. I should learn to just trust the pattern and keep going.

I started work on the second sleeve last night as well, and hopefully in a few days I'll be able to attach that one as well.. and then.. the sweater will be done!!  Cuz, I mean, holy crap, how cool is that.. to be able to wear a full sweater that I knit myself!  I still really really like this one too.  Its just such a pretty color and pretty pattern.  I gotta re-research how to take care of it.  Its cotton, so i don't think it needs blocking, but I'll probably still want to take care of it gingerly as it is a hand-knitted piece.  Can't wait to wear it though.  Its inaugural wear will be as a late summer piece, rather than the early spring it was intended for.. but somehow I think that'll be okay.


No comments:

Post a Comment