Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Finding Gauge

Working on this new sweater that I fell in love with - Primrose Path - its the first time that I've had to seriously contemplate gauge. I wasn't too impressed with the yarn used in the pattern, according to comments about the yarn that says it fuzzes really fast, which just doesn't seem to fit my ideas about what would be good for that pattern. So I decided to look around a bit. I still want something that might have a little shine to it (which the original yarn gets from the silk), but that hopefully won't fuzz up much. I've fallen in love with Cascade Yarn's Ultra Pima, and when I went into the LYS it was on sale. It isn't the most ideal choice for this pattern, as it doesn't really fit what the pattern calls for, but I am determined to make it work. For one, Ultra Pima doesn't fuzz or pill very much, and it does have a little shine. Its cotton, so it won't stretch very much - but the pattern is ribbed, so I think it'll stretch enough thanks to that. I'm just hoping it will work out okay. I stuck with a color similar to that used in the pattern, because I just think its a good color for a spring-time top.

So here's the specifics that I'm going to have to work with. The pattern calls for worsted yarn, 22 sts x 28 sts = 4" in 2x2 rib, or 21 sts x 28 sts = 4" in St st (using size 6 needles). The Ultra Pima (considered a DK) gauge suggests 22-24 sts = 4" in St st (using size 5-6 needles). That's really really close. I'm hoping that it won't take too much finagling to make this yarn work. I'm doing a large swatch now in 2x2 rib to get the measurement using size 6 needles. It looks a little..open.. to me, so I think I may do a smaller second swatch on size 5 needles and see if it looks better. Then I'll compare stitch counts and see what I need to do from there.

I'm sure I'll have to add a few stitches to the pattern no matter which needles I end up using, its just a question of how many. I'll have to test my math skills and hope I know what I'm doing!

1 comment:

  1. An additional safety measure, once you've worked your swatch(es), is to cast on a sleeve and see how that goes. If you get gauge on your sleeve(s), you can be reasonably confident about the fit elsewhere.

    ReplyDelete