Monday, January 24, 2011

Primrose Path

It has begun! My very first sweater is well under way at this point. I have knitted over 4", closing in on 5" done. Woo!

So last I left you, I was still working up my gauge swatches. I liked the look of the swatch on the US 5 needles much more, so chose to go with that one. The swatch only added about 4 stitches to the gauge, surprisingly, and when I did my math.. the appropriate addage of stitches also equaled the largest size the pattern came in - talk about luck! So I'm just knitting the sweater in the largest size of the pattern, and I *think* it should work out. Its really freaking hard to figure out gauge on 2x2 ribbing, let me tell you. There's no way in the world to know how much to stretch the rib to count stitches. The pattern said 'slightly relaxed" but yeah, no idea exactly what that means. But I think it'll work out.

I added 4" to the bottom of the pattern (extending the lace-flower pattern further across the front) because I tend to like longer shirts. I figure I'll try this baby on as I get a lot further up the back and make sure I am liking the length on it. I can always add more at the top too. But since I added 4" to the bottom, that means I've only just begun the actual pattern itself! Hah! And I've already used a whole skein of yarn. Something tells me I may need to buy more yarn. Oh well. At least its an easy yarn to come by.

I will say the pattern looks beautiful. I showed it off to a few friends this weekend and they were much impressed. *Squee!*

1 comment:

  1. It looks really good. I hope the gauge works out for you.

    ReplyDelete