Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Catching up

I ended up getting pretty sick the last few days of last week. Sick enough that even sitting up required too much energy most of the time. You'd think that staying home from work would give plenty of prime knitting time, and I'd certainly hoped for such. But as it turned out, I was nearly too sick for even that. *sigh* I did get some knitting in, in that hour or two just after eating or just after taking medicine, whenever I could stand to sit up for a while. Just not as much as I would have liked.

I'm closing in around 10 repeats of the flower pattern on my sweater. I think thats about 10 inches of work. I just don't sit down and focus on it as much as I probably should. But one things for sure, I'm definitely starting to feel the weight of the piece as I work it. I'm doing this sweater in cotton, so it definitely has more weight than wool would have had. But I also know that once its on, the weight won't be that noticeable, or if it is..it will only be there to accent the drape of the fabric.

On another note, I've decided that I want to dare lace. I don't mean simple lace mixed into a larger pattern, like the primrose path I'm working on now. I mean *real* lace. A shawl or scarf done in delicate laceweight yarn that will be silky and airy and delicate. I joined a group on Ravelry called Beginning Lace Knitters to see if they had suggestions about a good starting lace piece. The group does knit-a-longs (KAL), and when I went to look they were just voting on this next month's KAL - which turns out to be this absolutely lovely piece called Ethereal Triangular Shawl. It is really quite pretty! I already have a lace-weight yarn in my stash, a bright blue bamboo called Azure, that I think will work just perfectly for this shawl. And since its a KAL, I can get help along the way as I get stuck. It'll be a challenging piece, but hopefully with the help of the others I can actually get through it.

So here's to a third piece going on the needles! I really should try to finish that project bag...

2 comments:

  1. I used to think lace was scary, but it can be a lot of fun. And that shawl is seriously yummy. I just ordered a whole bunch of laceweight yarn from two vendors, in various fibers. In the next few days it will be fun when packages come to work for Ms. Ravelled!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a beautiful shawl. I hope you have fun with it.

    ReplyDelete