Tuesday, February 8, 2011

I can do Lace!

Yep - that's the shawl, as far as I've gotten with it. And its all correct so far. I've got another couple of repeats to do to add two more rows of those leaves, then i'll start on the border, which is a very large border - probably about the size of what I have here for length(width?).

Let me just say that I am blown away that I am making this. As I get through with each leaf repeat, I look back at the whole thing and just can't believe that I've done this. I mean, when I picked up knitting - I thought you made sweaters, hats and mitts..all of which are close-knit with few holes, sturdy fabric. I had no idea I could make lacy airy delicate things like this. The yarn I'm using is laceweight, which is pretty much a heavy thread. To think I'm knitting with it...it still seems weird. Its definitely a bit difficult to work with, just because gripping it and keeping tension is hard on something so small. The work barely weighs anything at all. I'm just - I can't believe I can make this :D

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful! You're doing a great job. Love the life lines. I am working on something similar, so I know what you mean about knitting with thread. I can't wait to see the shawl finished.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice! If you decide that you want to make another lace project, you will probably want to invest in a pair of Addi Lace needles, if you have not already done so. Pointier tips than the Addi Turbo's, so they make quick work of those K2tog's and SSK's. And, at least when the needles are new, a slightly "sticky" texture that helps you hang onto those slippery stitches. The Knit Picks Harmony needles are also nicely pointy.

    ReplyDelete