Thursday, February 24, 2011

Clapotis Thievery

I'm gonna steal my blog space for a bit today to make some comparisons for one of my readers. My mother has requested that I make her a shawl - and she even picked out the pattern - Clapotis. Its a lovely pattern, and well-loved by the knitting community. Hell, I want one of these for myself one day. Its also a wonderful choice for Texas, as it can be light and airy as well as warm. Anyway, I'm stealing the blog space so I can show her some color options and get an idea of what I can get for her. So don't mind me - nothing to see here - unless your mom - or just curious.


So this is in Noro Silk Garden - that stuff you liked at the yarn store, with the long color runs. This is in a lighter weight yarn, so I'd only need 2 skeins of yarn, running somewhere between $10-$20 per skein (depending on sales). The one on the right (in browns) is also Noro, just a different type. Very pretty too.





This is just a fingering-weight yarn that I actually can't get. So I'd need to look for a replacement - BUT - I *love* the color of this. The variegation of the colors in this yarn are very subtle (light blue to dark blue) and I think it adds a lot to this scarf by having that extra bit of variegation in it. Compared to...
this pink, which is pretty as well, but has a little less depth to it, imo.

Of course this is for you!
Here's another example of a single-color option that did come out quite beautifully (the yellow).

And if you go with variegated yarn, of course we'll need to be careful we don't end up with something that has *this* much variegation --> as that is just way too overboard, and a little ugly in my opinion. Subtle is better for this pattern.


And I just needed to add one more picture - this one is done in Chroma (that stuff I talked to you about that is like Noro, but cheaper ^_^) which I think I can get the shawl done in 2-3 skeins at $9 a piece.










So that gives you some ideas about effects depending upon style of yarn that we choose. I am pretty sure I'm going to do this in the lighter-weight yarn. I'll get the size but keep it light, for less money - all good things. I also have the most choices in that lighter yarn as well.

I just need color preference and style as per above (either long-run colors, variegated yarn or single color) and I can start the process of hunting the actual yarn!

1 comment:

  1. Wow! I have only seen one or two Clapotis shawls in real life, but these are lovely. I wish you Mom good luck with her decision.

    ReplyDelete