Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Valentine's Day

Warning - gushy lovey V-day stuff below. If you don't like gushy lovey vday talk, I suggest skipping this post :)


Hubby and I decided to make something of this year's Valentine's day. I told him sometime last week that I wanted a necklace for Vday. I real one - real diamonds, gold setting and chain. While the weather was bad, we thought we'd go together, as I always have the car. But he just asked what type of necklace I wanted. So I showed him some pictures from Kay that I liked. There was this one that I particularly liked.. and that was I think the first picture I showed him. He told me on Saturday that he'd gotten me my present (so to watch my spending - lol!).

Sunday night, I give him his present - its a night early, but as we wouldn't see each other till 9:30 Monday night, I figured it'd be better to swap gifts early rather than late. So I handed him my gift - a nice card, and a box of ferrero rocher (those crunchy ball chocolate things that the "gods gave to man" from the commercials?) that he likes. He gave me my necklace. And it was exactly the one I wanted!!

Its 10k white gold (my favorite), with one side done in all white diamonds, and one side done in black diamonds. Its actually more meaningful to me that way. Hubby is a dark-haired Italian man, and always likes wearing black (and looks damn good in it, too). So in a way, the heart represents the two of us. (Not that I really wear white..but I can be white diamonds just fine XD.)

He even posted on my facebook after I posted the picture of it that said "He was the dark half, only really made special by being attached to [me]." Awwww!!! He really was being a super sweety all day.

So I decided close to the end of my work day that I just *had* to do something super nice for him. We'd been bemoaning the fact that we couldn't really go out to eat any time this week for V-day due to his work schedule. His only night off was Tuesday, but we already had plans to hang out with friends that night. So I determined that since we couldn't go out, I'd buck up and cook a fantastic dinner for him. I decided on shrimp - and it was just a matter of how to cook them. It took at least an hour of hard thinking to remember that I had a recipe for Shrimp Paesano - only the best shrimp dish ever invented! Its from this restaurant in San Antonio (called Paesanos), and the shrimp recipe was leaked after a family squabble, and I had it!! Couldn't quite decide on an appetizer (I thought prosciutto would be nice, but didn't really feel like doing asparagus with it), so I went to a favorite of his - Tomato Mozarella Campisi. Easy easy to make, and he always loves it.

So even though it sounded all super nice and expensive looking, it was fairly easy to whip it all up. But *definitely* not something we can do all that often. That shrimp recipe tastes so good because the sauce is really just 3 sticks of butter!!! But hey - my hubby *loved* it. Seriously loved it. Hell, I loved it too. And I don't generally like my own cooking. But that came out divine. Probably should have opened a bottle of wine to go with it all, but it was still a perfect way to end a wonderful Valentines day.

2 comments:

  1. What a lovely necklace!! The black and white is really stunning. I'm glad you all had such a wonderful Valentine's Day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pictures of my flowers are up today :) Glad that I'm not the only one who had a good V-day.

    ReplyDelete