Wednesday, February 2, 2011

First attempt frogged


And I thought I was doing so good...

I started up the Ethereal Lace project last night. I got through a nice amount too - 40 rows or so done. Put it away for the night..wake up this morning.. and realized I'd done it wrong! *sigh*

I was comparing my work with the FO pictures.. and noticed that I was only working one half of the shawl. The three motifs i have currently worked all go one direction..but the final pictures all show those motifs going two different directions... one way on one side of the shawl, and a different way on the other side. I'd somehow only worked the right side of the shawl! And I had no "center stitch" that is the turning point to going to the left side. In looking at the chart..to figure how i'd done that.. because I honestly thought I was reading the chart correctly.. I noticed that there is a "center stitch" indicator....AALLLLL the way over on the left side. Hardly part of the rest of the chart at all (easy to miss, that is). But where was the other side of the shawl on the chart? ((this is one of those moments where I felt a little dumb.))

I did ask advice on the KAL forum for this pattern. And a few nice individuals helped me out. Turns out I'd skipped a row. When the instructions said "CO 5 Sts, then start up at chart row 1 with k2, yo, k1, yo, k2"... that was for both sides of the shawl. I'd read that as row 3 of the chart.. (which is exactly that notation, but for a single side), and ignored the 2nd side. So I'm supposed to knit up the chart, single knit stitch for center stitch, then knit the chart row again for the 2nd side. So simple!

But really, I suppose that isn't all that intuitive for someone who has never knitted a triangular scarf before (read: me). The instructions didn't ever say "knit chart twice, once for each side of center stitch" or anything like that.. it just kinda assumed I knew how to make a triangular scarf. Which, in the future, I will. Its just a hurdle I had to get over to learn!

But, it does mean I have to frog the whole thing and start over. *grumble*

3 comments:

  1. I'm sorry you had to start over. Sometimes that happens. I do think the shawl is going to be gorgeous. I love the yarn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was thinking that the yarn looked lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The yarn is a 10/2 Bamboo that I have an enormous cone of.. 4200 yards or so. This will *not* be the only project done out of this yarn :)

    And it will be lovely..on my third try! (or whenever I get it going without enormous mistakes.. hehe)

    ReplyDelete